Windows update usually ensures your computer to keep up to date with the latest innovations and security updates. Microsoft has issued another update after the tragedy that was the Windows 10 1809 update, which was published in October 2018 that deleted all the important documents of some users.
This seemingly harmless Windows update, known as KB4532693, was released on February 11, 2020 and it caused many Windows users to lose vital documents, images, videos, and personal settings. According to several Windows users, all of the files on their desktop have vanished. Here’s everything you need to know about the bug, including how to recover my lost files after Windows 10 update.
Why the Bug Appears to Delete the Files?
Some users have reported that after updating Windows 10, their desktop files have been removed. However, those files are not erased and are still present on your computer. This happens because Windows 10 signs users into a temporary account. Follow the methods below to recover lost files after updating Windows 10.
Ways to Recover Lost Files After Windows 10 Update
Method 1: Check If You Have Logged in Temporary Profile
- Click on the search bar and type as Settings > Navigate to the Account.
- Now click on Sync your settings.
If you see a message on the top stating You have logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable
Note: Sign in again after restarting your computer. This should deactivate the temporary account and restore access to your files. If still you are unable to find your lost files after Windows 10 update then move to the next section of the article.
Method 2: Look for Files Using Search
To find your files, in the search bar type indexing options and double click on it.
- Now click on Advance option > navigate to Troubleshoot and indexing and now you will be able to find the lost files after Windows 10 update else you can also follow the additional methods below.
Additional Methods to Try:
It is possible that some files might have been hidden from the view. To unhide the files you can follow the steps below.
- In the search bar type File explorer and then select the View Check Hidden items, and try searching for the files again.
- Using the asterisk (*), look for all files of a specific type. For example, to find all Word documents, type *.doc into the search bar. Look for *.mp3 files if you’re looking for music.
Now by following the above methods one should be able to find lost files after Windows 10 upgrade, if still you are unable to locate lost files then move to the next section of the article.
Method 3: Recover Files Using Backup
Before installing any new OS, make a backup of your important files. Because even slight changes can have unanticipated implications, significant changes should be approached with caution. Always make a backup of your data before installing an update. If something goes wrong, it could save you a lot of time. If you still can’t find the files, you’ll have to restore them. To restore, follow the instructions below.
- Click on the search bar and type Settings > Update and Security.
- Double click on Update and security navigate to Backup.
- Now select the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) option and click on Restore my files
- Click on Browse for files button and select the files you want to restore.
- Now click on Add files option and navigate to click on Browse for folder and hit
- Specify the new location where you want to restore recovered files and hit Restore.
In case if you have not enabled backup restore, then it is recommended to make use of the Remo File Recovery tool. A dedicated File recovery software to recover my deleted or lost files. It is built with a deep scan engine that scans every sector of the drive to recover lost files after updating Windows 10.
Method 4: Recover Lost Files After Windows 10 Update Using Remo File Recovery Software
Download and install Remo File Recovery software, once installation process gets completed click on finish option and follow the steps below.
- Click on the Recover Files option and select the appropriate drive to recover lost files.
2. Now click on the Scan option, once the scan process is done all the recovered files will be displayed in Data Type and File Type View.
Note: Click on the Preview option to preview the recovered files.
- Click on the Save option, to save the recovered files on desired location.
When you update your system to Windows 10, it is possible that Windows update might move your files to another location. When upgrading to Windows 10, the Admin account that was created during the upgrade may be disabled. It may also create a temporary account for you.
You won’t be able to see the files stored in the Administrator account if the account is disabled. Similarly, if you’re using a temporary account, you won’t be able to access files from other accounts.
Despite the fact that the update procedure is capable of maintaining your files, it’s important to note that anything can go wrong at any time. This is why it’s important to back up your data on a regular basis.
This blog discusses a few strategies for locating missing files following the Windows 10 update. However, if you don’t have backup of your data then it is recommended to make use of Remo File Recovery software.