Disable Cortana in Windows 10: Artificial Intelligence is the most familiar technology that is ruling the world. Almost all the new electronic gadgets which are coming out in the recent times have the artificial intelligence incorporated in those. And the list of the most popular ones which are used widely includes Apple’s Siri, Google’s Google Assistant, Microsoft’s Cortana and Samsung’s Bixby. However, there are occasions when the user does not need the AI to assist him or her. And there comes the necessity of disabling the inbuilt Artificial Intelligence in the device. Here, in the following write-up, we aim to bring forth the process how you can disable Cortana in Windows 10 or in Windows Phone, in case you desire to.
What is Cortana? (Outstanding Features)
Cortana is the official digital assistance that most of the devices running on the Windows (predominantly Windows 10) operating system has got. It keeps an account of a lot of things that ease out things in the daily life of the user of the device. It keeps track of a lot of things about which it keeps on updating its users. As we speak of the features of Microsoft’s Cortana, here is a glimpse of its salient features.
- One of the basic things that Cortana helps is in setting up reminders for varied things. The list includes things like where to go when to go, whom to meet, what to buy and lots more. It is rather endless.
- Besides reminding you of your engagements, Cortana helps you in calculations (ranging from very difficult to very easy) and conversions (keeps an eye on all the latest conversion rates).
- Finding facts is also one of the important things that the digital assistant from Microsoft performs. For instance, you want to know the historical importance of a particular day, it has a solution for you. All that you need to do is simply leave a voice command or type in what you want to know. Cortana is waiting to serve you.
- You have plans to go out for a hangout with friends or whatever the reason might be, you need to get a weather update, the AI has a solution for you.
- Natural language search is something that makes Cortana even more efficient. If you are looking a particular file, you can simply ask it to find out for you.
- The digital assistant from Microsoft has a wide range of knowledge, and it can identify a song as well.
- Also, it has the capability of helping you out in case you have got stuck in a location from where you can’t find a way out. That is – Cortana enables you to find maps, and it enables you to navigate through it as well.
Why Disable Cortana on Windows 10?
Privacy is one of the prime concerns that often force the user to think of disabling the virtual assistance in their devices. Since the AI keeps track of everything that you are doing with your device, it might often get annoying for the user. And once again the thing that comes into question is privacy. And that is definitely the prime reason behind the users’ desire to get rid of it.
Disable Cortana in Windows 10 – Guidelines to Follow
You need to follow a few steps in order to disable Cortana on Windows 10 PC temporarily. And if you want to cease the AI’s access to all your details on your PC, you need to follow a few more steps. At first, we state the steps that you need to follow in order to disable Cortana in Windows 10 temporarily. The steps are as follows.
Step 1: Launch Cortana from the search bar.
Step 2: Then click on ‘Settings’.
Step 3: You will find Cortana on the top. There toggle it ‘Off’.
Step 1: Go to Settings.
Step 2: Find out ‘Privacy’.
Step 3: Then go to ‘Speech, Inking, & Typing’. Click on ‘Stop getting to know me’.
Both these methods will disable Cortana in Windows 10, and Microsoft’s AI will no more be able to keep records of your activities. However, that does not clear all the details that it has already received previously.
How to Disable Cortana Permanently on Windows Devices
Step 1: Open Registry Editor on your PC. You might take the help of the digital assistant before disabling it. Search ‘regedit’.
Step 2: A dialogue box will open where at the location bar you need to type – Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows.
Step 3: Go to the Edit > New > Key from the Toolbar. Under the Windows folder, a new typing space will appear.
Step 4: Type in ‘Windows Search’ and press ‘Enter’.
Step 5: Now once again go to Edit > New > DWORD (32 Bit) Value. You will face yet another situation like the one at Step 3.
Step 6: This time type in ‘Allow Cortana’ and press Enter.
Step 7: In the final step, reboot your device, and once it gets over you have already disabled Cortana in Windows 10.
Disable Cortana in Windows Phone
It is also not going to be too difficult to disable Cortana in Windows Phone running on Windows 8/ 8.1 operating system. And here is all that you need to do in order to disable the functioning of the AI from Microsoft.
Method 1 – Go to ‘Cortana’ and find out ‘Notebook’ icon in the menu. There you can spot ‘Settings’. Tap on that, Toggle off Cortana.
Method 2 – Go ‘Settings’ menu, swipe to ‘Application’. There you can find Cortana. Tap on it. There you need to toggle it off, and you have disabled Cortana in Windows Phone.
It is pretty easy as you can see to disable Cortana in Windows 10 as well as Cortana in Windows Phone. While performing the function, if you face any sort of problem you can leave your queries here. We’re here to answer all the questions regarding the problems that you might face.