Best Antivirus Softwares 2018: As far as modern software security is concerned, nothing beats using an antivirus software. Such antivirus and anti-malware/anti-spyware/anti-ransomware software are manufactured by a lot of vendors. Which ones are the best, however? We try and list them on our list of the best antivirus softwares of 2018 so that you can make an informed choice.
In drawing up this list, we have not delivered any verdicts. Instead, we have simply mentioned the best of the best. Before we begin, we must list out certain differences between paid and free software which will make you think twice.
Should you be using free antivirus software instead of paid versions, you might be:
At risk to new and emerging threats as the paid versions often get the updates to the latest problems faster. Think of the WannaCry crisis of 2017.
You can be liable for a lesser degree of protection as the paid versions are often updated faster.
Less privacy options are available on free antivirus solutions as they often come with bundled adware and lack file shredders or secure browsing options.
Lastly, the paid versions often offers anti-ransomware protection options besides promising a faster PC due to better file management and other options. They are also easier to use and are liable to lesser instances of crashing.
That said, we do not feel that the best free antivirus options 2018 are something to be glossed over. In fact, most of them will work as well as their paid counterparts if you practice the basic tenets of safe Internet browsing.
Best Antivirus Software of 2018: The Definitive List
All of the options on this list are equally powerful and are hence not arranged in any manner of preference. They have been tested and qualified by our in-house team of experts and have all passed with flying colors. You can use any one of them. Be sure, however, to never use two antivirus software at once on your computer: they will clash with each other and provide false positive results.
For all the tests, we used a single machine which had an Intel Core i3-4005U processor, a steady 6GB of RAM and only around 50GB of data on a 500GB hard drive, giving a 10 percent occupancy rate.
- Avast Free Antivirus: Avast is an internationally renowned manufacturer and has been in the business since 1988. It boasts a very impressive antivirus and antispyware system which helps in shielding your PC from many dangers. It also grants protection to your documents and helps in screening messages and even certain unknown texts. The famous “heuristics engine” prevents against previously unknown threats too.
The system impact is imperceptible and the machine does not slow down. You can download this best free antivirus of 2018 from here.
Overall Score: 9/10
- Bitdefender Free Antivirus: Bitdefender is easily one of the best free antiviruses available and the paid version is also rather good. However, it is more of a set-it-and-then-forget-it security solution as the free version is rather bare-bones. The paid version is better in most respects and is better equipped. However, the number of updates that the free version gets is rather impressive.
On the other hand, the Bitdefender antivirus is easy to use and with does not have any self-promoting ads asking the users to upgrade to paid subscriptions. Download it from here.
Also Read: iMessage for Windows
Overall Score: 8.5/10
- Microsoft Security Essentials: This is Microsoft’s own proprietary Antivirus software that is available free of cost. One great advantage that this has in this list of the best antivirus software of 2018 is that it is a proprietary software and does not require to be purchased, consequently making it the best free antivirus of 2018. One great advantage which MSE, as it is popularly known, is that it is updated regularly on threats automatically.
Besides, the interface is absolutely clan and the software is remarkably unbloated. You can download it from here, although it should come bundled on your Windows OS itself.
Overall Score: 9.5/10
- Avira Antivirus: Avira is also a very popular name across Net-using households over the world. While it is not the best as far as maximizing system-performance is concerned, one great advantage is that it is highly customizable. This makes it an automatic candidate for selection on our list of the best antivirus of 2018.
Remember that even the free version of Avira has important add-ons like a VPN client and even a password manager. Note that the best features are always reserved for the paying customers, so do read the fine print very minutely. Download the antivirus from here.
Interested in dating? Check out how to use Tinder without Facebook!
Overall Score: 8/10
- Malwarebytes Anti Malware: While technically not an antivirus software, the Malwarebytes Anti Malware software is something that should ideally be used by all users as it is the best protector against pre-installed malware. When installed and running, it can detect malware in real time and can clean up your computer in no time at all. This means that Malwarebytes can act as complementary software to any pre-existing antivirus software and is definitely a must-have.
Use Malwarebytes Paid version in case you feel that your device has been infected by keyloggers or rootkit viruses. The free version is also superlative and comes highly recommended. Download the software here.
Overall Score: 9/10
By now, you will have had a firm guess of which to use out of this list of the best antivirus softwares of 2018. While choosing a software, we recommend that you do not go blindly by what we say; instead, do some original research and then pick the right choice for you. This list is constantly updated as more and more entries are added, so watch this space for more.